WJBF News Channel 6 and The Augusta Chronicle present Border Bowl V on Saturday, January 6, 2018 at 11am at Lucy C. Laney Memorial Stadium. The Border Bowl features the best senior high school football players and cheerleaders in the CSRA, Team Georgia vs. Team South Carolina in the battle for the paddle. 100% of the proceeds from this annual event are given to the Ronald McDonald House charity.
The Border Bowl V cheerleading coaches will select senior cheerleaders from across the CSRA to participate in the Border Bowl All-Star Team Georgia & Team South Carolina squads. Any senior cheerleader from a CSRA high school squad is invited to fill out an application to tryout for the Team SC or Team GA squad. Applicants should be seniors in good standing with their high school cheer squad. Cheerleaders must apply for the squad that represents their high school location.
The selection process includes an application and a tryout day. The cheerleaders themselves should apply.
Phase 1: Applications
Cheerleaders who wish to tryout for the Team SC or Team GA Border Bowl V cheerleading squads must first fill out an application. Applications are mandatory and will be considered as part of the scoring process.
- Cheerleaders should fill out applications themselves.
- Your application IS your registration to come to either Team GA or Team SC tryouts.
- By applying, you are confirming that you HAVE checked your availability for the date of tryouts and that you WILL be present on the date of tryouts. Before applying, ensure that you are available on the date of tryouts.
- The application is online. The link to the application is at the bottom of this page.
- No walk up applications will be taken on the day of tryouts. In order to come to tryouts, you must complete an application before the deadline.
Deadlines *Please note- each squad has a different deadline* :
- Team GA Cheer Application Deadline: Friday, October 20, 2017
- Team SC Cheer Application Deadline: Friday, October 26, 2017
Phase 2: Tryouts
A one-day tryout clinic will be used for skill evaluation of the applicants. Tryouts are mandatory and will be a major part of the scoring process.
Dress Code:Cheerleaders should wear a plain white top with no logos or screen printing and black shorts.
Items to bring:
- COPY OF YOUR SCHOOL PHYSICAL FORM (on file at your school)
- If you do not bring this to tryouts, you will NOT be able to participate.
- Water Bottles/Sports Drinks
- Snacks/Lunch, if desired
Date/Time/Location: Team South Carolina and Team Georgia will hold their tryouts on two separate days in two separate locations.
Team South Carolina Cheerleading Tryouts
Saturday, October 28, 2017
Tryout Clinic 9:30AM-4PM (may end before 4PM, but please be available)
South Aiken High School
232 E Pine Log Rd,
Aiken, SC 29803
Park in the senior parking lot closest to the football field, walk in side entrance down the hall. Check in will be in the commons. Signs and South Aiken Varsity Cheerleaders will be on school grounds to assist applicants to the right place.
Team SC squad will be announced & released on Friday, November 3, 2017 at 11:35PM on WJBF News Channel 6 Football Friday Night and The Augusta Chronicle online.
Team Georgia Cheerleading Tryouts
Sunday, October 22, 2017
Tryout Clinic 9:30AM-4PM (may end before 4PM, but please be available)
Lakeside High School
533 Blue Ridge Dr,
Evans, GA 30809
Park in the front parking lot and use the main entrance to the school. Check-in will be in the commons. There will be signs on the entrance doors.
Team GA squad will be announced & released on Friday, October 27, 2017 at 11:35PM on WJBF NewsChannel 6 Football Friday Night and The Augusta Chronicle online.
Tryouts will include
- A group cheer taught to all participants on the day of tryout
- A short group dance taught to all participants on the day of tryout
- An individual Team SC or Team GA cheer
- Cheerleader should prepare this before tryout day
- Group Stunts
- Full, Clean Extension Cradle
- One leg position, Extension Cradle
- 3 jumps (including one combo jump)
- Tumbling (optional)
Code of Conduct Policy
All player and cheerleaders selected for Border Bowl will sign a Code of Personal Conduct form that will state that if they are arrested or charged with a crime, or suspended from school, anytime from the moment they are selected to and agree to participate in the Border Bowl up through the Border Bowl game itself, they will removed from the Border Bowl team or coaching staff immediately.
- The player or cheerleader may be reinstated if the charges are dismissed by a court of law, or the school suspension is lifted by the Principal, prior to the Border Bowl game being played
- In-school suspensions do not apply
Border Bowl V Cheerleader Obligation Agreement
If you are offered and accept a spot on a Border Bowl cheerleading squad, you also accept the honor and responsibility that come with the position. You will not only represent your school and its athletics program in front of the CSRA, but also participate in many activities and fulfill many obligations. These obligations and expectations are listed below. Please consider these before you submit an application. By completing an application for Border Bowl V cheerleading, you are confirming that you understand the responsibilities that come with accepting a spot on Team Georgia or Team South Carolina.
- Dress Code:
Cheerleaders that are chosen for the Border Bowl squads are required to, and therefore, must be WILLING to adhere to the following basic dress requirements. At the Border Bowl game and at all practices,
- hair should be pulled away from the face/neck and secured.
- nails should not extend past the fingertip.
- jewelry should not be worn.
- First Team Meeting:
This meeting will take place on one evening during the week of 11/28-12/1
(Exact date, time and location will be given to cheerleaders who earn a spot on squad)
- Cheerleading Practices:
You MUST be able to attend practices. Cheerleaders can miss a maximum of 1 practice.
By submitting an application for Team GA or Team SC Border Bowl Cheerleading, you are confirming that you are aware of any practice date ranges listed below, that you have checked your availability for any specific practice dates listed below AND that you will make Border Bowl V cheerleading practice a HIGH priority. Practice dates are subject to change. Finalized schedules will be given to cheerleaders who earn a spot on the squad.
- TEAM GA Cheerleading practices | Lakeside High School
- December 5, 2017 4:30-6 pm.
- December 9, 2017 10 am- 12 pm.
- December 13, 2017 4:30-6 pm.
- December 16, 2017 10 am -12 pm.
- December 20, 2017 4:30 – 6:00 pm.
- December 27, 2017 4:30- 6:00 pm.
- January 2-5, 2018 4:30-6:00 pm.
- TEAM SC Cheerleading practices | South Aiken High School
- Team South Carolina Cheer will have 10-12 practices ranging from dates 12/5/17-1/5/18. These practices will be 2-3 hours in length and could be on a weekday evening OR on the weekend during the day. An exact practice schedule will be given to cheerleaders who are offered and accept a spot on the squad
- Mandatory Extracurricular Activities:
Each cheerleader will sign up for 1 extracurricular service activity that the Border Bowl committee makes available. (more info given to cheerleaders who earn a spot on squad)
- Border Bowl V Pre-Sale Ticket Sales (more info given to cheerleaders who earn a spot on squad)
- Border Bowl V Pre-game Dinner (Friday, January 5, 2018)
- Border Bowl V (January 6, 2018, 11AM, Lucy C. Laney Memorial Stadium)
- Be available and willing to participate in all obligations above
- Be seniors in good standing with high school squad
- Know and abide by SCHSL/GHSA rules and regulations
- Be good students involved in school & community activities, of good character and recognized as credit to school and community
- Have a good attitude & be willing to try and put forth effort
Registration & Forms
In order to participate in the tryout, you MUST register IN ADVANCE by filling out an application.